English is the primary language of study at KPU; therefore, all applicants must be able to demonstrate the appropriate level of English language proficiency for their graduate, undergraduate, vocational or preparatory area of study.
All applicants to undergraduate studies must satisfy KPU's Undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement through one of the following ways:
High School Courses
- Completion of BC English Studies 12 or English First Peoples 12 with a minimum grade of C+ (or equivalents)
- As part of the Adult Dogwood Diploma, completion of English Studies 12 with a minimum grade of C+
- Completion of IB (International Baccalaureate) English A1/A2 (HL or SL) with a minimum grade of 3 (or C+)
- Completion of AP (Advanced Placement) English Language and Composition or AP English Literature and Composition with a minimum grade of 2 (or C+)
For English 12 and all other provincially examinable courses, KPU will accept the blended grade (classroom grade + provincial examination grade) OR the classroom grade — whichever is higher — for the purposes of Faculty and program admission, and for satisfying course prerequisites, where applicable. Current students wishing to use a higher classroom mark for the purposes of satisfying prerequisites should request to have an official copy of their high school transcript sent to Admissions should they wish to have their academic record updated to include the classroom mark for any provincially examinable courses.
- Completion of 3 credits of undergraduate English (ENGL) with a minimum grade of C- from a recognized post-secondary institution where English is the primary language of instruction
- Graduation from a baccalaureate degree, or two-year diploma program, or successful completion of two years of study (60 credits) at the undergraduate level, with a minimum CGPA of 2.0, at a recognized post-secondary institution where English is the primary language of instruction
- Completion of ELST 0381 and ELST 0383 (or equivalents) with a minimum grade of B in both or ELST 0381 with a minimum grade of B and a KPU placement score higher than ELST 0383 level
- Completion of ENGQ 1091, ENGQ 1092 or ENGQ 1099 (or equivalents) with a minimum grade of C
- KPU English Placement Test (EPT) with placement into ENGL 1100
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Test: overall band of 6.5 or higher, with a minimum 6.0 in each band, taken within the last two years from the term of admission
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): iBT 88 or higher, with no sub score less than 20, taken within the last two years from the term of admission
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL): Score of 70 or higher with no sub score less than 60, taken within the last two years from the term of admission
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Score of 61 or higher, taken within the last two years from the term of admission
- Language Proficiency Index (LPI): Level 5 with an essay score of 30 or higher, taken within the last two years from the term of admission
The English proficiency requirement for vocational studies varies by program. Program admission requirements, including English proficiency, are included in the calendar descriptions of each program. See the Program Index.
Note: Apprenticeship programs are not subject to KPU's Undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement.
The English proficiency requirement for university preparatory studies varies by program. Program admission requirements, including English proficiency, are included in the calendar descriptions of each program. See the Program Index.
This online version of the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Calendar is the official version of the University Calendar. Although every effort is made to ensure accuracy at the time of publication, KPU reserves the right to make any corrections in the contents and provisions of this calendar without notice. In addition, the University reserves the right to cancel, add, or revise contents or change fees at any time without notice. To report errors or omissions, or send comments or suggestions, please email Calendar.Editor@kpu.ca