The English Language Studies Department offers academic English classes for students of English as an additional language. You can take courses individually or you can earn the Diploma in English Language Proficiency.
- We welcome newcomers to Canada and international students.
- Whether you are a recent high school student, a university graduate or a professional, our goal is to prepare you for success in your university studies or career.
- We provide full or part-time English language study in a four-level program.
Faculty's website: kpu.ca/acp
Department's website: kpu.ca/acp/els
The following admission requirements apply to this program:
- KPU ELST assessment into ELST 0041 or higher and ELST assessment into ELST 0043 or higher; or
- Duolingo English Test: Minimum score of 65, taken within the last two years from the term of admission; or
- ELSQ 0031 with B- or higher and ELSQ 0033 with a B- or higher; or
- TOEFL iBT 32 (with writing band 12, speaking band 12, listening band 6, and reading band 6), taken within the last two years from the term of admission; or
- IELTS 4.5 (with no sub-score less than 4), taken within the last two years from the term of admission.
Placement test scores are used to provide students with appropriate placement within the program. Applicants must provide test results prior to admission in order for KPU to confirm eligibility to enroll in courses at KPU.
Students starting the program in courses above the Foundation level should contact the Academic Advisor for Upgrading for further information regarding courses currently being offered, and program requirements.
Students are required to complete 60 credits according to the following program requirements:
Diploma in English Language Proficiency
|ELST 0041||English for Academic Purposes - Foundations Level 1||6|
|ELST 0043||Foundation Level - Listening and Speaking 1||6|
|ELST 0061||Intermediate Pronunciation||3|
|ELST 0181||English for Academic Purposes - Level 1 1||6|
|ELST 0183||Academic Listening and Speaking Skills - Level 1 1||6|
|Select one of the following: 2||3|
|ELST 0281||English for Academic Purposes - Level 2 1||6|
|ELST 0283||Academic Listening and Speaking Skills - Level 2 1||3|
|Select two of the following: 2||6|
One university-level course 3
|ELST 0381||English for Academic Purposes - Level 3 1||6|
|ELST 0383||Academic Listening and Speaking Skills - Level 3 1||3|
|Select 6 credits from the following: 2||6|
Up to two university-level courses 3
A minimum grade of B- is required in each course.
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
Upon successful completion of the Foundation Level, students are eligible to receive a Citation in English Language Proficiency.
Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to receive a Diploma in English Language Proficiency.
This online version of the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Calendar is the official version of the University Calendar. Although every effort is made to ensure accuracy at the time of publication, KPU reserves the right to make any corrections in the contents and provisions of this calendar without notice. In addition, the University reserves the right to cancel, add, or revise contents or change fees at any time without notice. To report errors or omissions, or send comments or suggestions, please email Calendar.Editor@kpu.ca