This is a comprehensive program including courses in English and Mandarin language, communication, Ancient Chinese philosophy, and Western biomedical sciences which are necessary for the critical understanding and development of complex Traditional Chinese Medicine concepts. The curriculum has been designed to offer an education of significant breadth and rigour within the contexts of TCM/Acupuncture fundamental theory, diagnosis, treatment, and clinical practice. The program includes 460 hours of practice. Through these experiential learning activities, students will actively engage with the community.
Note: To be eligible to write the licensing exam with the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists of British Columbia (CTCMA), 60 university credits are required in addition to the credits attained within the Traditional Chinese Medicine Acupuncture Diploma. These credits may be attained before, during, or after the Traditional Chinese Medicine Acupuncture Diploma.
Faculty's website: kpu.ca/health
Department's website: kpu.ca/health/acupuncture
In addition to the Faculty's Admission Requirements, which consist of KPU's undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement, the following program admission requirements apply:
- Interview by the Program Chair and/or letters of reference, if requested
Once students have received a conditional offer of admission and before final admission to the program is granted, students must submit the following:
- Canadian CPR Health Care Provider or Basic Life Support (Note: CPR certification must remain current throughout the program.)
- An acceptable Criminal Record Check through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General's Criminal Records Review Program within 6 months prior to the start of the program.
- Applicants who have lived outside of Canada as an adult are required to secure a Criminal Record Search with the Vulnerable Sector from their country of origin. Please contact the Office of Admissions for further direction on obtaining your criminal record check.
- Immunization Record Form reflecting required immunizations as per Practice Education Guidelines for BC. Note: Practice Education Guidelines (PEG) for BC outline immunizations for vaccine preventable communicable diseases required by students for participation in practice experiences. KPU Faculty of Health is required to comply with these requirements. Students that are unvaccinated may not be able to be accepted into the program. Students who are accepted into the program will also be required to maintain immunizations as per the PEG.
Admission selection will be determined by the date of qualification.
The Diploma requires the completion of the following 86 credits, with a minimum grade of 'C' in all courses.
|ACUP 1100||Acupuncture Fundamental Theory||4|
|ACUP 1110||Mandarin Foundation for Traditional Chinese Medicine/Acupuncture||3|
|ACUP 1160||Acupuncture Biomedical Foundation||4|
|ENGL 1100||Introduction to University Writing||3|
|ACUP 1200||Acupuncture Diagnosis: Data Collection||4|
|ACUP 1210||East Asian Health and Philosophy||3|
|ACUP 1230||Acupuncture Meridian and Acupoint||6|
|ACUP 1260||Acupuncture Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology||3|
|ACUP 1180||Acupuncture Practicum Introduction||1|
|ACUP 1300||Acupuncture Diagnosis: Pattern Recognition||4|
|ACUP 1320||Acupuncture Technique||3|
|ACUP 1330||Acupuncture Therapy I||3|
|ACUP 1360||Acupuncture Introduction to Pathology||2|
|ACUP 2100||Introduction to Traditional Chinese Medicine History and Classics||2|
|ACUP 1340||Acupuncture Safety||2|
|ACUP 2130||Acupuncture Therapy II||3|
|ACUP 2150||Acupuncture Communication and Ethics||2|
|ACUP 2160||Acupuncture Western Medical Diagnosis (Imaging and Lab Testing)||2|
|ACUP 2170||Acupuncture Pharmacology||2|
|ACUP 2180||Acupuncture Practicum (Supervised I)||3|
|ACUP 2200||Acupuncture Taiji/Qigong||2|
|ACUP 2220||Advanced Acupuncture||2|
|ACUP 2230||Acupuncture Case Study||3|
|ACUP 2240||Acupuncture Tuina (Chinese style massage)||3|
|ACUP 2280||Acupuncture Practicum (Supervised II)||4|
|ACUP 2300||Acupuncture Musculoskeletal Management||2|
|ACUP 2320||Acupuncture Practice Transitions||3|
|ACUP 2340||Acupuncture Practice Management and Regulation||2|
|ACUP 2360||Acupuncture Shiliao and Nutrition||2|
|ACUP 2380||Acupuncture Practicum (Independent)||4|
Upon successful completion of this program, students are eligible to receive a Diploma in Traditional Chinese Medicine - Acupuncture.
This online version of the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Calendar is the official version of the University Calendar. Although every effort is made to ensure accuracy at the time of publication, KPU reserves the right to make any corrections in the contents and provisions of this calendar without notice. In addition, the University reserves the right to cancel, add, or revise contents or change fees at any time without notice. To report errors or omissions, or send comments or suggestions, please email Calendar.Editor@kpu.ca