The Bachelor of Arts, Major in General Studies degree program provides you with the opportunity to develop a degree program that suits your unique interests, combining courses across different disciplines. Working with an Arts Degree Advisor, you can create a personal program of study that helps you reach specific career and personal goals, intentionally developing a broad interdisciplinary liberal arts education. Completing this degree will normally involve a selection of courses from a number of departments that form around a unifying theme.
The program includes:
- Development of disciplinary knowledge, core competencies, and transferable skills characteristic of traditional Bachelor of Arts programs
- Preparation for entry into the labour market by incorporating essential and employability skills in all courses
- Increasing your capacity to respond innovatively to emerging trends in society
- Opportunities for forging connections within the South Fraser region by completing research, volunteering, or working in your field of interest while completing your KPU degree.
Faculty's website: kpu.ca/arts
Department's website: kpu.ca/arts/programs
Students pursuing a major in General Studies must be admitted to the Faculty of Arts.
Students intending to graduate with this Faculty of Arts Bachelor’s degree must declare the credential by the time they complete 60 credits of undergraduate coursework. At the time of declaration, the student must satisfy all of the following requirements:
- In good academic standing with the University
- Completion of a minimum of 18 credits of undergraduate coursework
- ENGL 1100
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree with a Major in General Studies must complete a minimum of 120 credits that fulfill all of the following requirements:1
- ENGL 1100 with a minimum grade of 'C'
- 3 credits from courses in English (ENGL) with a minimum grade of 'C', excluding ENGL 1100 and ENGL 1104
- 3 credits from courses designated as Quantitative (QUAN) with a minimum grade of 'C'
- 15 credits from courses in each of at least three different academic disciplines (i.e. at least three different course subject codes) with a minimum grade of 'C'
- 45 credits from courses numbered 3000 or higher
- Minimum Program GPA of 2.00 and Institutional CGPA of 2.00
The program structure for each student in the BA, Major in General Studies will vary depending upon the focus of courses developed in consultation with an Arts Degree Advisor. Students who are considering post-baccalaureate or graduate school programs should research the requirements of their specific programs of interest and then consult with an advisor at KPU to meet those requirements and to ensure they include appropriate courses in their degree program.
The BA, Major in General Studies is not coupled to the B.A. Framework.
Upon successful completion of this program, students are eligible to receive a Bachelor of Arts. Transcripts will indicate a Major in General Studies.
This online version of the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Calendar is the official version of the University Calendar. Although every effort is made to ensure accuracy at the time of publication, KPU reserves the right to make any corrections in the contents and provisions of this calendar without notice. In addition, the University reserves the right to cancel, add, or revise contents or change fees at any time without notice. To report errors or omissions, or send comments or suggestions, please email Calendar.Editor@kpu.ca